Authentic and therapeutic blending starts from the base – the carrier oil that is going to help deliver or move the various actives and essences into or over your skin.
Perfumers and aromatherapist’s scale the note of a scent ingredient to be top, middle or base in terms of how the scent is sensed with respect to the time after the application of the essence. In the same way we can also classify the note of the base oil to determine its suitability for a specific skin type and purpose of application.
• Top note vegetable oils are fine, light, dry in texture with a low viscosity and therefore able to penetrate within a couple of minutes, quickly, deep within the skin without leaving an oily residue. High in omega 6 and essential fatty acids, rosehip, hemp seed, watermelon, cucumber, kiwi, baobab and camelina oils are delicious oils packed with nutrients to feed your skin and are just a few of my favorites, when creating face oil blends for my clients.
• Middle note vegetable oils are generally high in monounsaturated fatty acids. Taking between 10-15 minutes to absorb into the skin, they are ideal for body massage oils, nourishing body creams and I will usually include these when creating face cleansers. Middle note oils such as jojoba, apricot kernel, rice bran, almond and avocado take longer to absorb into the skin allowing me to effectively move the oil around the body during the massage.
• Base Note vegetable oils tend to be fatty with a high viscosity and penetrate the skin slowly between 15-60 minutes making them ideal for cleansers and body creams where by the skin is need of lots of nourishment and lubrication. Olive, castor, moringa, neem and argan oil are examples of base note oils. Base notes are too heavy, in my opinion, for the face in large quantities and a definite no for oily/congested skin as they will enlarge the pores and often worsen the condition.
Creating the perfect blend requires an understanding of exactly what the skin requires on a therapeutic level. In my experience a perfect blend should combine a cocktail of oils – which are further tailored for your skin with vitamins and essences to bring about the desired changes.
• Tailor made face oils start from £45 for 30ml and £55 for 150ml body oil
• Bespoke facials/massages start at £80 for an hour.
To book a facial or a tailor made product consultation please email me on email@example.com you can also visit the website for more information on www.rishiveda.co.uk
Honouring The Beauty Within